Monday, September 19, 2011

It Just Keeps on Happening!

Well, I guess it's been a summer for acquisitions. There are another couple of sewing machines I have to confess, that have joined my collection. The first one was a result of reading a blog of a woman I have great regard for. She writes a very interesting blog called Treadle Quilts. I first met Jacqui and her husband Jake when I was on the lookout for my first Singer Featherweight. I found them while doing searches on the Internet, and they were not that far away from my home. After some correspondence, I travelled to St. Thomas and purchased "Maeve". Jake had tuned her up and Jacqui had tested her, and she sewed beautifully.....still does. It was wonderful visiting their home and seeing all the vintage machines, full-sized and toy models. It was there I saw my first black Singer 301. I vowed I'd own one. Of course, I do. I also saw my first parlor cabinet. I didn't know then that I'd inherit one, but was so pleased to be able to recognize it for what it was. It was that cabinet and the old 115 head in it that started this next machine voyage.

While reading the blogs this summer, I looked at the lovely machines that were offered for sale on Jake and Jacqui's sites. I saw a gorgeous Singer 115 with gold Wing decals, just like the machine in my parlor cabinet. This one was a little newer and was immaculate. I showed the picture to my husband. His remark was "that would sure show off Aunt Nell's cabinet wouldn't it. What's the price?" I almost fell off my chair, but told him the price and asked it I should email about purchasing it. Well, needless to say, I emailed. They responded. I visited their lovely new home in St. Thomas and now, this beautiful machine graces the parlor cabinet. And sews like a dream!

Here are the pictures. I'm so pleased with this.



I think the original head, which works very well, will become a hand crank machine perhaps. We'll see. You never know what will follow you home.

2 comments:

DragonPoodle said...

Wow, gorgeous machine. I just acquired a 115 with the Tiffany decals. I've never run across a parlour cabinet--not yet anyway. Lucky you!

Candace said...

OMG what a gorgeous find. I can't wait to see what you make with this.