Sunday, January 31, 2010

Another Month Closer to Spring

We're finished with January! I'm so happy to report that the driving to and from work has been uneventful, with only one particularly nasty day. Let's hope February is kind to commuters. I don't like getting storm-stayed, even it if is at my brother's place. We do have fun, but I like to get home to my own stuff!

Another little getaway happened last weekend. I went to West Branch to Caroline's Sewing Room and stayed for two nights with a couple of my quilting friends. We had a great time, ate too much and accomplished a fair bit of sewing. Here is the One Block Wonder that was on my design wall a few months back.


The pink fabric was purchased at Caroline's shop for a border.  It is a very soft, muted looking quilt top.  I'll meander it I think.  No idea what's going on the back yet, but I'll use a piece of the original in the backing to show how it began.

Here's a little closer view to see the many different hexagons.  It's so like a kaleidoscope.  I don't think I'll make another one.  I didn't enjoy sewing the strips together at all.  So much bias.  However, never say never.  I may just come across a fabric that begs to be chopped up and put back together in this manner.

Also working on a Block of the Month from Country Patchworks near Woodstock.  It's very pretty.  Using Marti Michell templates (a first for me), we are making the Anniversary Waltz quilt, using the shop owner Debra's own colour scheme.  Here are a couple of the blocks.

The colours are neutral, but the black just punches up the various tones of taupe, beige and cream.  I think it will be lovely when it's finished.  The shop model sure is beautiful.
Now, to get more of my quilt blocks finished and see about that Infinity quilt.  I don't want to go to Spring Retreat in May without it being finished.  I'm sure I'll get razzed!

2 comments:

Betweens said...

hello I found you through Quilters bloggers and thought I would stop by and say what a gorgeous One block wonder!! thanks so much for sharing your talent!!

Jacqui's Quilts said...

Love that one block wonder. And I was at Country Patchworks the middle of February and saw that block of the month quilt. It is very pretty!

Jacqui