Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Remembrance Day 2009

I usually go to the cenotaph and had planned to meet Mom there today.  However, the gods conspired against me, and I got called into work for 11 am instead of 3 pm due to yet another staff shortage.  I got there a bit before 11 and was able to participate in the hospital-wide 2 minute silence.  I missed the bagpipes and the trumpet, but played them in my mind anyway.

Bless all those who are serving at home and abroad.  Bless all those who are affected by the loss of their loved one.

And Dad, I remembered for you too.




In Flander fields the poppies blow
Beneath the crosses row on row
That mark our place and in the sky
The larks still bravely singing fly
Scarce heard amid the guns below.


We are the dead.
Short days ago We lived, felt dawn, saw sunset glow.
Loved and were loved, and now we lie
In Flanders fields.


Take up our quarrel with the foe;
To you from falling hands we throw the torch; be yours to hold it high.
If ye break faith with us who die
We shall not sleep, though poppies grow 
In Flanders fields. 


                                                                       John McRae

No comments: