Sunday, November 1, 2009

Happy Birthday to..........Me!

Today is my birthday. I'm 54, going on 25 I think. I don't feel any older, and heaven knows, I don't act any older. Our 33rd anniversary was on Thursday, and Dad's birthday would have been on Wednesday. We used to have such a big celebration for all the events. Now, nothing much happens. Two of the boys are up north hunting. One of them will be working at a new job relief milking. I made reservations for dinner with my husband, brother and Mom. I am looking forward to that.

I always spend my birthday doing something that I want to do with little interference from the rest of the world. Today, I will work in my sewing room on a couple of Blocks of the Month for October. I didn't get to do them on time because I was at retreat.

Oh, retreat? Great event in a wonderful place near Gladwin Michigan called The Springs.  37 of us had a wonderful retreat for 5 days. We laughed, ate, sewed, ate some more, and sewed again. 7 of us decided to take advantage of the zip line. Yes I have pictures!



and a close-up!



Nice Socks!  Anyway, it was great.  So much fun that I did it twice!  Then they told us it was 70 feet above the river and 1100 feet long.  I'm no great fan of heights, and did feel a bit dizzy climbing up the tower to get onto the line, but once I stepped off the tower into......nothing!......I really enjoyed the ride.  I'll do this again next trip to the Springs.

We were lucky enough to have Kaye Wood visit us during our retreat with her latest patterns and her quilting rulers and guides.  That lady has some easy ways to do some difficult quilting techniques.  I bought her Starmakers, as it makes doing angles and stars quite simple.  I love quilted stars.

Sue Bondie taught us One Block Wonder and it's such a neat technique.  I do hope I can get at least my top assembled before the spring retreat.

Also, the centre panel is embroidered for the Infinity quilt.  Pictures will follow when I get it quilted and ready to attach to the other 12 blocks.  I want this finished for spring retreat.  I don't want to have to take it back again unfinished!

On to the sewing room and Happy Birthday to me!

3 comments:

That Girl said...

Happy Birthday! Your retreat looks like it was a lot of fun, especially the zip line... and of course the quilting too. I love the one block wonder technique; it makes such beautiful quilts. I hope you had a wonderful birthday!

Jennifer :)

Karen said...

Hope you had a wonderful birthday!

Candace said...

Happy belated Birthday!!! Hope your day was very special indeed!